THE VORTEX IS A BAR
Both locations of The Vortex (Midtown and Little 5 Points) are bars, designed for adults. Therefore, we restrict access to people 21 and over at all times. This means you cannot bring your children, toddlers or infants with you, until after they turn twenty-one, even if they already smoke and drink. This includes patio areas as well. The whole joint. All day. Every day. No exceptions.
JUST SHOW YOUR ID
All patrons will be required to present proper identification. No ID = No entry. Don’t give anyone a hard time when they ask for your ID. By law, you must have valid ID to consume alcohol in a bar, no matter how old you are. So, if you didn’t bring your ID with you, and are denied access to The Vortex, it’s your own damned fault for being a dumb-ass. Who doesn’t carry ID?
When checking identification, we will only accept IDs that are acceptable under Georgia State law. Pursuant to O.C.G.A. 3-3-23(d), proper identification means any document issued by a governmental agency containing a description of the person, such person’s photograph, or both, and giving such person’s date of birth and includes, without being limited to, a passport, military identification card, driver’s license, or an identification card authorized under O.G.G.A. 40-5-100 through 40-5-104.
ACCEPTABLE FORMS OF IDENTIFICATION
- Valid Driver’s License, Instruction Permit, or ID Card issued by any U.S. State, U.S. Territory or the District of Columbia.
- Valid Georgia Temporary Driver’s License.
- Valid Driver’s License or ID Card of any Nation.
- Valid Passport of any Nation.
- Valid U.S. Armed Forces ID Card.
- Valid Merchant Marine/Coast Guard ID Card.
UNACCEPTABLE FORMS OF IDENTIFICATION
- Any identification document that does not meet the Identification Requirements noted above.
- Photocopied, Falsified, Altered or Expired ID.
- Digital photos of ID on a Camera or Cellphone.
- Library Cards, Membership Cards or Credit Cards.
- Student ID Cards, Foreign or Domestic.
- DUI Paperwork or other Traffic Citations.
- Birth Certificates.
- Gun Permits.
“UNDER 21” STAMP ON LICENSE
In some instances when issuing a Driver’s License to those under 21 years of age, state governments will include an “UNDER 21” notation directly on the license. As long as the owner of the license has actually turned 21, and the license is not expired, these licenses can be used to gain admittance to The Vortex. We can do basic math. If the bouncer gives you any trouble, just ask to speak with the manager.
LEGAL DRINKING AGE
The “Land of the Free” has the highest minimum drinking age of all the developed countries on earth. The majority of countries have set their minimum drinking age at 18, while many are lower, and some have no minimum age law at all. We believe that the nationwide drinking age of 21 in the U.S. is not only ineffective but actually counter-productive. But it is the law, and as such, we are required to obey it. There are several organizations actively seeking to change the minimum drinking age in the United States on legal, philosophical and pragmatic grounds. If you’d like more information on this subject, just use the Google machine.